10.11.2011

New Aesthetic.

These pieces all have an actual, real meaning to me. They have a smell. And the glass shards still have sand on them from where they were scavenged. I literally dropped each piece on the paper, tweaked it a little, and drew the "negative space" standing up. (The outline of the whole shape, but no detail.) I did the drawing in pen on watercolor paper, and used oil paints with turpentine and liquin as thinning agents. 

It was very nice.

I really wanted to wait to unveil this until I could do it all at once. But the way my life is going, I have decided to phase the changes in now. 

The fact that this is an illustrative logo is interesting. Some of the logos I admire most are RVCA's "balance of opposites," Insight's simple graphic, the Volcom stone, and a million others I can't recall. All of these are perfect in their simplicity. Brilliantly simple... an art I can't ever quite accomplish.

That said, I think this image is the right mix of versatility and culture that I've been looking for. It's simple enough to be memorable, but detailed enough to give all my marketing materials an instant "look." Plus, it calls to mind hand-carved awnings for "Joseph's Apothecary" that used to grace our store fronts in those 'olden' days.' Done well, detail itself can show others we are craftsmen.

What do you guys think? Do you like this aesthetic better than the old one? Do you go for simplicity, or detail? 

Love and kudos,


P.S. If you haven't already, be sure to check out my beautiful collection of images over at tumblr. I'll follow back!

6 comments:

  1. wow, as I am a total irtist/drawing no-brains this all sounds so impressive to me. and the drawing is! so pretty! beautifully done :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nikki! I'm so glad you like it. Honestly, it's not that impressive... I'm completely self taught. I remember the first time i did oil paints i didn't know you needed turpentine or anything to thin it out! I've made a lot messes and mistakes and embarrassed myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the new design! And I love that you painted the header yourself, it really adds a special touch. I agree with keeping the design simple. I went through so many headers that had a bunch of pictures but have recently decided to keep it simple and let the photos in my posts talk for themselves! Good job on the painting, it's really beautiful. I wish I could paint!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely stunning. I love how delicate the image is, and how the bold colors make it more prominent. I love the tabs up top and the classic, clean links on the side. All of it is awesome. I've always been a minimalist, so the new layout really appeals to me. Amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I´m glad that you like my blog! :D<3

    cool drawing, love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so talented! Dang, girl! The header is magical! :)

    ReplyDelete

Love and kudos.